Friday, June 18, 2010

Judging a DVD by it's cover

So, I was in Best Buy not too long ago and I spotted a Zombie movie I had never heard of. Of course I purchased it, It took place in a warehouse district part of town and there were Flesh hungry "Zombies". So I watch the movie and I realize it is not a zombie movie at all, but a cannibal movie. These are not the undead hordes I sought, but warm blooded men. What the Fuck! Of course I returned the movie to the store. The Customer Service chick tells me "We can't return movies that have been opened, we can only exchange them for the same movie". Why would I want to return a crap movie for another copy of the same crap movie? I explained to her very slowly and with small words that the images depicted on the cover were not from that movie at all. They were in fact rotting zombies, whereas this movie contained no zombies and was in fact a cannibal movie. This confused her. She went and got a manager who told me the whole exchange policy again. So once again I explained the situation, only this time, I used the term "False advertising". This will get any manager's attention by the way, so use it when necessary (I think they have conventions at manager retreats about the term).

So this whole situation got me thinking about other forms of false advertising. The greatest or most treacherous of which would have to be attractiveness. See for some reason we are hard wired to believe the more attractive someone is the more important or better they are. I did a poll using the 10 scale (1 being Sloth from "The Goonies" and 10 being the most attractive celebrity people could think of). The list of 10's consisted of:
Brad Pitt (of course)
Robert Downey jr.
Tyson Beckford
Halle Berry
Johnny Depp
Angelina Jolle
Jessica Rabbit
and Maksim Chmerkovskiy (whoever the hell that is)

I also asked the women to rate me. Some were reluctant (probably because they did not want to insult me), but I got a score between 5 and 8. So each of the aforementioned 10's have at least two points on me. Plus, I think some of the questionees were just being polite, so let's say I'm a 6 for the sake of argument. So each of them have 4 points on me in the looks department...in a life or death situation, they have a 40% higher chance of survival. Brad Pitt will get a cab before me. Robert Downey Jr. will get the last piece of cake instead of me. If Halle Berry were to rob me at gunpoint and throw the gun down just as the police arrived, I would be the one going to jail. being attractive in our society is a license to steal. But, the outer casing of skin has nothing to do with the personality of the person. I've known plenty of attractive bitches, and some really handsome assholes. I've also known some people who don't think they are attractive, but are amazing looking and humble as hell. They are typically the people who were not attractive kids, but grew into attractive adults, and I think that is the key. People who have gone their whole lives knowing they are attractive feel entitled and are more arrogant. so if you see an attractive person and you want to know what they are like on the inside without wanting to spend weeks or minutes finding out, just ask them to see a picture of them when they were a kid and you will have all the answers you need. If they were child beauty pageant winners run, and run hard. If they were hideous little kids, you have a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment